There are a number of legal and environmental considerations relating to the discharge of waste water from commercial kitchen operations and the removal and disposal of greasetrap waste.

Building Regulation

It is a legal requirement enforced through building regulations that new build and refurbished commercial kitchen are fitted with a grease seperator or other grease management system that complies with the regualtion.


“Drainage serving kitchens in commercial hot food premises should be fitted with a grease separator complying with BS EN 1825-1 and designed in accordancewith BS EN 1825-2 or other effective means of grease removal.”

This new legislation is generally applied to new builds and refurbishments, although there is pressure to make it mandatory for all existing sites.

New Part H (Drainage and Waste Disposal) 2002 Part H1, Section 2 Foul Drainage

Renflo liners are building regulation complaint removing more than 80%
of FOG's and almost all solid food particles.

Renflo Grease Trap showing patented disposalable liner.

Greasetrap waste - Controlled Waste

Controlled Waste’?
........can be from a house, school, university, hospital, residential or nursing home, shop, office, factory or any other trade or business. It may be solid or liquid, scrap metal or a scrap car. It does not have to be hazardous or toxic to be a controlled waste.

Duty of Care

The duty of care is a law which says that you must take all reasonable steps to keep waste safe. If you give waste to someone else, you must be sure they are authorised to take it and can transport, recycle or dispose of it safely.

If you break this law you can be fined an unlimited amount.

How do I know what to do?

The law says you must take all reasonable steps to fulfil the duty and complete some paperwork. What is reasonable depends on what you do with the waste.
The Government has issued practical guidance on what is reasonable in different cases. This is in the Code of Practice.

Further Advice

This information is only an introduction to the duty of care. It cannot be relied on as legal advice. Practical guidance for everyone who is under the duty is in Waste Management, The Duty of Care, A Code of Practice, ISBN 0-11-753210-X, published by TSO in March 1996 and available from HMSO bookshops or by telephoning 0171 873 9090.

Who is authorised to take waste?

Registered waste carriers - Most carriers of waste have to be registered with the Environment Agency or the Scottish Environment Protection Agency. Lok at the carriers certificate of registration or check with the agencies.